Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric is a widely used spice throughout the world and is a great source of many health and beauty benefits. It is native to the Indian subcontinent and has been used in Ayurvedic medicine as far back as 3000 BC. . Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a rhizomatous herbaceous perennial spice plant, related to ginger. It has a mixed taste and light scent of orange and ginger Turmeric looks like ginger but is distinguished by its bright yellow-orange color.
In addition to turmeric’s many medicinal health benefits , it is use in cuisine is extensive as an ingredient in the curry spice. In addition, turmeric is used commercially as a dye and as a preservative in food. Another very popular use that provides many benefits is in beauty routines and is known as a main ingredient in many beauty products.
Chemical and Nutritional Value:
Curcuminoids, the main chemical compound in turmeric, has historically been used in Ayurvedic medicine as an effective protectant against several toxins in the liver. Curcuminoids are turmeric’s primary bioactive components including: Curcumin; demethoxycurcumin, and bis demethoxyxurxumin. Turmerone, Atlantone, and Zinzinberenwe are extracted from turmeric and form strong volatile oil with powerful antioxidant benefits and use. When turmeric is used as food additive then it is called as E-100.
100 grams of turmeric contain the following nutritional value: : 6.30 grams protein; 150 mg calcium; 67.8 mg of Iron; , 69.4 grams carbohydrates; 2.6 grams fiber, 3.5 grams of other minerals and 349 kilo calories of energy.
Uses in Beauty Treatments:
Turmeric is widely used in Indian subcontinent and many beauty products are found to contain turmeric as the main ingredient. Turmeric is also called “Haldi” or “Holud” in Indian subcontinent.
Turmeric is associated with a long list of skincare and other benefits including, but not limited to: acne, dry or oily skin, removal of dark circles, wrinkles and facial hair, sunburn, skin pigmentation, cracked hill (heals), hair problems such as hair dye, loss of hair etc. – all of which are common in men and women.
Against Skin problems:
• Antibiotic and antiseptic components work against acne. Acne scars and inflammation runs away using turmeric face pack.
• Facial mask with turmeric is always found in beauty parlors of India and non-Indian famous parlors. Turmeric keeps balance of water and oil entering the inter-lairs of skin. Thus a user can have non-oily or non-dry skin.
• Wrinkles, dark spots and fine lines due to aging are easily eliminated or greatly reduced using turmeric topically.
• Cracked heels can be unsighly. Turmeric works as a healing agent by combining a few drops of coconut oil and powder of turmeric and rubbing this mixture into heels – producing “hills” as soft as Youngers’ hills.
• Mixing turmeric with a few grams of flour can remove the dead cells from the skins. “If anyone tries this everyday then he or she would have dead cells free skin”.
Use in Medicine:
Turmeric is not only used in beauty treatments but also used as health supplements. Turmeric is referred to as “Holy powder” in India. This shows the needs of turmeric in medical treatments. This spice is mostly used in Ayurveda, Herbal, Allopathic etc. types of medical treatments.
These are examples of turmeric in medicine and treatment fields:
• Turmeric fills up the burns and cuts like no other antiseptics.
• Turmeric can reduce the chances to have prostate cancer when mixing up with cauliflower.
• Turmeric reduces liver toxicity, childhood leukemia, chances of breast cancer attack along with other cancers
• Daily cooked foods including turmeric kills pain of body muscles and bones.
• Turmeric works against inflammation such as arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis ;
• Turmeric increases brain’s kinetic energy. It is better for the students.
• Wounds can be healed with this spice.
• In China, people use this as medicine to cure depression.
• “Turmeric increases the dimension of digestion”.
• Turmeric purifies the bloodstream.
• Turmeric and recipes of turmeric keep the fat far from the body. This means a man doesn’t need to visit a dietitian or physician to loss the weight.
• Liver functions work well using turmeric as medicine.
The benefits of turmeric can’t be illustrated in just an article. Users and food lovers will always love to keep turmeric as a medical component in their foods or supplements.
As with other medicinal herbs with a long history of efficacy in “alternative” medicine – and proven to be used as far back as the BC era, conventional medicine today are taught their use is not proven effective nor are they approved by the FDA.
Although this blog is a short introduction to the many beneficial uses of Turmeric, an eBook has been released on Amazon-Kindle.
Turmeric is one of the first “vitamins” I was introduced to by directly contacting India, after refusing conventional cancer treatment offered in Canada. Although liver cancer is said to be a death sentence, my gut told me “not if I can escape this archaic treatment of killing immunity” and literally ran!
Do find our eBook on Amazon as it contains way more information than this blog.
A Cancer Cure? The Amazing Health and Beauty Benefits of Turmeric